Angel Oak & Charleston Homes

Monday, November 26, 2018

6:30 a.m.

Just like clockwork - it was time to rise and shine and take the dogs out for their morning walk.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it was warm - 60°! 

We got back just in time - we had a thunderstorm for a couple of hours.  It was so nice to stay all warm and cozy inside the RV with the fireplace going.  I am spoiled - I will have to have a fireplace in every RV we have from now on.  

Truman was all snuggly!  

We had egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast and then I did a yoga workout.  I just laid out the mat in the kitchen area while Clinton watched TV.  I played a yoga video from Youtube.

12:00 p.m.

While my videos for yesterday were uploading, we drove up the campground store to fill one of our propane tanks.  This was just the second time we had to fill a propane tank.  We have two of them - they each have compartments in the front of the RV.  Thankfully we use our fireplace a lot - it's electric so that is just part of our camping fee.  The propane runs our furnace and we definitely have needed it throughout parts of the trip.  We don't run it every night, just on the colder nights.

We also walked around the fishing lake that had alligators in it but we didn't see any - darn it!  After a turkey sandwich, we got finally got on the road to do some exploring.

1:30 p.m.

While checking scenic places around Charleston, I discovered Angel Oak - a 400 year old oak tree.  I knew we had to go see it!  It was just a short 15 minute drive from the campground on John's Island.
We had to drive down a gravel road and turn into a strange little place but we got out and there it was!

It was the most magical tree I had ever seen!  It was also the largest!  Look - that's me in front of the tree - I look tiny!

We didn't realize until the end that you might not were supposed to take pictures or videos - we're not sure?  Everyone had cameras out.  Anyway here's a video of this amazing sight!

2:30 p.m.

After checking out Angel Oak, we then went back into Charleston for one last look around.  We decided to look for a parking spot closer to the tip of the city - near Battery Park or White Point Gardens.  We wanted to walk around the amazing houses on that end.  It's hard to park our great, big truck just anywhere downtown.  We past by a parking lot with an attendant.  Turned out, it was a private club lot but the nice guy told us there is free parking along Battery Park.  Sweet!  We easily found a spot - it wasn't very busy on a Monday afternoon.

We walked through Battery Park

We slowly walked up Meeting Street, enjoying a quiet stroll along all the historic homes.

I would love to stay in this inn!

They were removing all the stucco from this house

We stopped by this cute little coffee and pastry shop - Normandy Farm Artisan Bakery

We got a cup of coffee and cinnamon/cream cheese croissant. 

We then returned to Waterfront Park - we watched a huge cargo ship come in and a huge cruise ship go out.  It was so much quieter than it was here Saturday.

Here's a video of some beautiful architecture:

5:30 p.m.

After battling more rush hour traffic (which we said before we would avoid!), we made it back to the RV.  I fixed taco salad for dinner and we watched The Voice for the rest of the evening.

Here's a breakdown of our costs Monday:

We really enjoyed Charleston!  It's a beautiful city that was easy to navigate and one in which we felt very safe.  We would love to return!

Tuesday is travel day - we will be driving 1 1/2 hours to Hunting Island State Park - right on the beach! 

Stay happy Campers!

Michele and Clinton


Popular posts from this blog

Our First RV!!

Advice - Memphis

A Day in Carolina Beach