Hunting Island State Park

Thursday, November 29, 2018

6:00 a.m.

I started the day with my daily routine of taking the dogs for an early morning walk.  It was a cool 38°.  Me and the dogs have a funny walking routine first thing in the morning.  I take them both out and Truman (our little black poodle mix) goes to the bathroom right away, gets scared by some sound (it's usually a little dark) and heads back to the camper within a few minutes.  I open the RV door, he scampers in, and gets in bed with Clinton while Charlie (our Schnauzer) and I then go for a long walk.  Aren't dogs funny?!  Just like human children, they are all different. 

7:00 a.m.

I wanted to watch the sun rise over the ocean by myself without dogs pulling on me so I took Charlie back to Roxy and headed out with my cell phone.  It is just a two minute walk to the beach and I was greeted with the most amazing sunrise! 

If it wasn't so chilly, I could have stayed out there for hours! 

This picture is of a tidal pool left behind from the high tide. 

I saw another beautiful jellyfish - I think this one could have been saved but I didn't have anything to scoop him up with.

8:00 a.m.

I got back to the RV and fixed egg in frames for breakfast.  Then we got around because we wanted to attend the lighthouse tour the state park was putting on.

10:00 a.m.

We drove just a few minutes down the road to the lighthouse at Hunting Island State Park.  The road to the lighthouse was beautiful!  It was like driving through a tropical jungle.  

This beautiful lighthouse is right on the beach, surrounded by palm trees and sand.  

The tour itself was free but it did cost $2 per person to climb up the lighthouse.  Such a bargain!  Clinton and I ended up being the only people on the tour.  It was given by this sweet older gentleman dressed in an authentic lighthouse keeper uniform.  

The tour was very informative about life as a lighthouse keeper.  I thought the staircase was especially beautiful.

Once we were all the way to the top, the view was breathtaking!  I know it shouldn't have been, but it was a little scary!  Eight stories up with just a small walkway.  I walked around the walkway but my backside touched the back of the lighthouse the entire way around lol!  Clinton didn't come out at all lol!

12:00 p.m.

After the tour, we walked on the beach, visited the gift shop, and drove to the visitor's center.  

There is supposed to be a momma alligator in this pond but we didn't see her!

Here's a video of our lighthouse tour, walk on the beach, and the visitor center.

1:30 p.m.

We got back to the RV campground and ate leftovers for lunch and then took a wonderful nap - oh the life of the retired!  

4:00 p.m.

We took the dogs for a walk on the beach.  They love the beach!  I tried to get a video of them running around and chasing each other but I just couldn't get it.

There are definite remnants of hurricanes past.

6:00 p.m.

Clinton and I worked together in our small RV to make one of the best meals we've fixed on this trip so far - fried fish!  The fish came from our nice camping neighbor at Murray Lake who gave it to us at Thanksgiving.  We fixed cornbread and green beans to go with it.  It was so delicious.

7:30 p.m.

I should have been working on blogging and vlogging but Charlie was in a cuddly mood and was curled up on my lap with Truman right beside us.  The Patriot with Mel Gibson was on and since it was filmed in South Carolina, I felt like I must watch it lol!  I'm not going to feel guilty about it.  I had decided from the beginning of this journey, I will post as much as I can but I'm going to enjoy the journey too!

Here's the costs for our day:

My happy moments today were:

  • watching the sunrise
  • seeing the view as I stepped out of the top of the lighthouse
  • cooking dinner with my hubby
What were your happy moments from Thursday?

Stay happy Campers!

Michele and Clinton


Popular posts from this blog

Our First RV!!

Advice - Memphis

A Day in Carolina Beach