Traveling to Carolina Beach

8:00 a.m.

Today was the earliest we've gotten around to leave.  It was rainy and windy again at the Outer Banks.  We got most everything ready the night before - tanks dumped, bikes put inside, dog leashed put up.

We hit the road for our next stop - Wilmington, NC - a five hour drive from Rodanthe - and it started to pour!

It finally stopped raining hard but it did rain off and on throughout the entire drive.  

On the way, we stopped to get gas and stopped at a rest stop to walk the dogs and eat a picnic lunch.

The drive was filled with pine trees.  I didn't realize that pine trees were such big business here!

It warmed up during our drive south - upper 70's!

2:00 p.m.

We arrived at Carolina Beach State Park.  We did see the ocean off to the left (state park is on the inlet side) but after spending the last four days at the beach, it wasn't as exciting as it was when we got to see it for the first time a few days ago.

It was easy to find the campground and our site which was very level.  It is surrounded by pine trees so hopefully it won't be windy here!

We got set up and checked at the marina - no campground check-in station.  The marina is on the inlet and had several large boats docked there.

4:00 p.m.

We found out that they actually close the gates to the state park (including the campground) at 7:00 p.m.!  So we decided to have an early dinner at a restaurant the gal at the marina recommended - Michael's Seafood Restaurant.  It was excellent decision - we were both really tired and hungry from the drive and so comfort food hit the spot!  We split a bowl of their famous seafood chowder (I can see why!) and the seafood mac & cheese.  We couldn't even finished it!  We felt much better and went to a nearby Food Lion to get some groceries.

6:00 p.m.

We were back at the RV - thankfully we didn't get locked out!  We fed the dogs and took the dogs for a walk around the campground before it got totally dark.  We were glad there were no mosquitoes.  There are quite a few people here camping.

We spent the rest of the evening relaxing - watching TV (antennae is giving us quite a few channels to watch), listening to the family next to us play the guitar and sing, blogging (using my phone as a hot spot), etc.

I did end up being as graceful as always - I was climbing over my bed to get something out of the cabinets above and slipped off the bed and crashed into the window covering.  That thing juts out and I banged up my arm pretty good.  At 52, I'm still living up to the nickname my dad gave me when I was little - Grace!

Here's a breakdown of today's costs:

Tomorrow I need to find a coffee shop with fast wifi to upload pictures to the blog and upload a video.  We also will explore the Carolina Beach and Wilmington area.

Until then - stay happy Campers!!



Popular posts from this blog

Our First RV!!

Advice - Memphis

A Day in Carolina Beach